The J. C. Layman Company, Inc. was incorporated on December 8, 1908.(3) The new corporation consisted of John C. Layman is President, W. S. Lindsay is Vice President, and Harvey P. McGoldrick is Secretary and Treasurer.(3) Lindsay lived in Rural Retreat, and wasn’t active in the management of the business.(4) John C. Layman was a popular young traveling salesman before the start of the company. He had married Dora McGoldrick on September 30, 1903 (7), who I also suspect is the sister of Harvey P. McGoldrick. By 1910 the company has built a new brick building along a railroad spur on a lot between Washington and Virginia Streets.(2)

The original purpose of this corporation was the wholesale fruit, vegetables, and confectionery, but by 1915 they are also bottling soft drinks.(4) One of the sodas they bottled was Mint Cola, which was registered on April 15, 1913 by the Maysville Syrup Company, Maysville, Ky. Later they would also bottle King Cola which was a brand registered in February 1916 by the Virginia Beverage Corporation. Aside from those two leaders they also produced a full line of sodas along with distilled water.

In 1920 Charles F. Hagan incorporated the Wyrick Spring Company in Bristol, VA, and erected a bottling plant in Crockett, VA where the springs are located, most likely to bottle the 5 gallon carboy, and half gallon jugs. There is a J. C. Layman Company bottle with “A Wyrick Spring Product” embossed on the back suggesting he bottled for the corporation as well. There is also a Wyrick Spring Ginger Ale which was bottled in a twelve ounce bottle that is also embossed “A Wyrick Spring Product”, and was also used to bottle carbonated Wyrick Spring water.

The J. C. Layman Company is listed in the Beverage Blue Book in both the 1923, and 1925 editions.(5) The J. C. Layman Company charter was dissolved by the State Corporation Commission on January 22, 1926.(8) The Layman building was taken over by the Teneva Overall Company in 1929 (6), then the building is sold to the Jobbers Candy Company in 1935, they would remain there until 1977. John C. Layman returned to his original occupation as salesman, this time working for Morley Brothers & Company of Bristol.(1)

This artwork from their check shows what the building looked like during the time they were operational.

This is the side of the building that once faced the railroad tracks.

This is the Washington Street side of the building, in this picture you can see the curve of the building.

6 1/2oz King-Cola bottle

6 1/2oz Mint-Cola bottles two different variants

From the collection of Tommy Fouch, photo by Joseph Lee
A J. C. Layman Mint Cola bottle with "A Wyrick Spring Product" embossed on the back.

A check from the company circa 1915.

This page is only part of a much larger site. To see the rest then just click TAZEWELL-ORANGE.COM and the contents on this site are copyrighted by Joseph T. Lee III except where otherwise noted see Terms of Use.


(1) Hill's Bristol VA-Tenn City Directory 1923-1924


(3) "Annual Report of the Secretary of the Commonwealth to the Governor and General Assembly of Virginia" published 1909

(4) The City of Bristol Virginia-Tennessee: Its interests and Industries 1915

(5) The Beverage Blue Book

(6) Manufacturers' Record 1929

(7) The Times Dispatch Richmond VA

(8) City of Bristol Court Records